Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Swiss Reflections

First things first, thanks to all of those that have passed along compliments and encouragements lately, both for the blog and for the vocational choice, both here and elsewhere. Much appreciated. Although I feel a bit self-absorbed at times, I hope this site keeps you updated on me and, perhaps, keeps me in touch with you. As for the path I'm on, I'm just trying to follow what I think is a personal call from the Big Guy himself. It's amazing sometimes what I've done and what I'm doing in response to that call, but as St. Paul said, "I can do all things through him who strengthens me."

This past weekend I made a pilgrimage to Einsiedeln Abbey, located in northeastern Switzerland, about an hour south of Zurich near Lake Sihl. The abbey has many claims to fame: it was founded on the martyrdom site of Saint Meinrad, a ninth-century hermit and spiritual teacher; according to tradition, it was reportedly founded by Christ himself; it houses the miraculous statue of Our Lady of Einsiedeln; and, for all these reasons, it was one of the major medieval pilgrimage destinations, along with Rome, Compostela, and Canterbury. It also happens to be the motherhouse of Saint Meinrad Archabbey in Indiana, where I did my pre-theology work.

The front of the abbey church of Einsiedeln and the Lady Font on the right

Because of the long weekend and my currently close proximity to Switzerland, I decided to take advantage of the opportunity and make a pilgrimage myself, and I’m very glad that I did. My three days there were quite restful and prayerful. I was very grateful to be able to stay at the abbey (only a few doors down from the abbot actually), and attend Mass and prayers with the monks, although my inability to speak any German made it also a bit frustrating and, at times, lonely. I was happy to have the opportunity to speak Italian with some of my fellow pilgrims and to speak broken English with a Frenchman, experiences I’m not sure I would have enjoyed much otherwise.

Monastic life is an interesting thing, at least from my perspective as an outside observer. There is a beauty and simplicity to it and a deep sense of reverence for a tradition older and greater than yourself, all of which I find very appealing. Time seems to pass differently at a monastery, more deliberately and more purposefully, and certainly the idea of renouncing or removing yourself from the contemporary, outside world can be quite appealing at times. And, yet, I always leave monasteries with the firm conviction that I myself am not called to that way of life. To see young men, several of whom were no older than I, committing themselves to this difficult monastic vocation was very inspiring and yet a bit bewildering as well. Here were men of my age living out the same faith at the same time in history, and yet in a vastly different way. We shared much in common but had responded to very separate callings.

Looking SE toward Gross, Gross Aubrig, and the Glarus Alps and Appenzell Alps

Perhaps that’s an important experience to have, at least occasionally. It helps us to appreciate the various and personal natures of living out our lives in faith and gives us a glimpse into the beauty and the hardship of lives other than our own. Again, I’m reminded of the words of St. Paul: “there are varieties of gifts, but the same Spirit; and there are varieties of services, but the same Lord; and there are varieties of activities, but it is the same God who activates all of them in everyone. To each is given the manifestation of the Spirit for the common good.”

Hope this Wednesday finds you well! God bless.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Andrew. I just found your blog. It's great. Wonderful photos. Thanks, John H. from Saint Meinrad Dev. Off.

Anonymous said...

Andrew,

I've really enjoyed keeping up with your travels through the blogosphere. Your insight and reflections are accurate and inspiring, especially coming from a "real-world kinda guy" like yourself. Back to the grind here in K-town after a wonderful summer working and playing in God's masterpiece of mountains and forests here in North America. Unfortunately, I think my trip to the Swiss Alpine Institue this November is falling through (it's tough to get away at the end of a semester), but I've started planning a trip to Rome for early next June to pay you a visit . . . let's hope it works! We are very proud of you!

peace and prayers, Mark Spond

Anonymous said...

Hart,

You feel self-absorbed because you are. I'm glad that you are getting to see all the things that you are.

Doug

Unknown said...

Hi Andrew,
Glad that you have been able to do and see so much. It sounds as if your trip to Switzerland was both pleasing to the eye and nourishing for the soul !
Talk to you soon,
With love and pride,
MOM

Cortina Community said...

Spectacular scenery, and a nice reflection too.

Here's to having a good last week in Verbania!

Stephen

RCH said...

Hey there!
I'm really enjoying keeping up with the blog and how you are doing. Thanks for putting up all these great pictures! I know it takes forever and is a hassle. When you get back to Rome I guess we won't have anymore great looking pictures and stories like these. Just photos of St. Peter's, the Colosseum, the Forum, etc and stories of rubbing elbows with the German Shephard himself. Rats! Oh well, I guess I can deal with that! Talk to you soon! :)
With love from your favorite sister,
R