Sunday, April 12, 2009

Easter Greetings


Happy Easter, everyone! I hope this holiest of days finds you and yours well and able to share in the joy and peace of the Risen Christ.

I'm back in Rome for a brief respite between trips. I had a great time in France (details to come) and was able to make it back for the Easter Vigil Mass at St. Peter's Basilica last night. And I'm looking forward to spending this coming week in the land of my mother's side of the family, southern Poland. In fact, although my family has some very experienced world travelers amongst us, I think I'll be the first to venture there, which is exciting. It will be my first trip into a country of the former Eastern Bloc, and I speak even less Polish than French, so it should be interesting to say the least.

I had hoped to write a short reflection on this central feast of our faith, but finding myself a bit short on time, I'll just link to the Holy Father's words from last night and this morning, which are much more profound than anything I can offer. As he says, it is because Christ's resurrection is not a fairy tale or a myth but indeed the truest of realities that sin is for all time conquered. Because of this, we his disciples, more truly his friends, are called to be witnesses and symbols of his new life and through his Spirit to "renew the face of the earth." O happy fault, O necessary sin of Adam, which won for us so great a Redeemer!

Buona Pasqua
, friends.

5 comments:

Cortina Community said...

Woot!Polska

Unknown said...

WOW, Andrew, it brings tears to my eyes when I think that you are currently visiting the land where MY 4 grandparents were born! Can't wait to hear all about it.
Przyjemnego Wycieczka !!
(Have a good trip!!)
Love, MOM

Anonymous said...

Hi Andrew,
It's nice to hear of your travels to Poland, perhaps the only remaining Catholic country in Europe. Ireland, Spain, and other counties are just about giving up their religion.
I am back in South Korea for the ninth time. Took the northern route again over Hudson Bay (frozen in), north Canada (frozen in), Arctic Ocean (frozen solid), eastern Siberia (frozen in), and eastern China (lots of rice paddies and snow). And they say there's global warming.
Have a good time traveling and learn all you can.

Dan

Anonymous said...

Pasqua Felice Andrew,

I hope your travels to our old country are going well. Are there lots of goats, cabbages, advertisements to move to Chicago? Just kidding, looking forward to your next post and your thoughts on my paternal homeland.
Thanks for your recent prayers, I think the comprehensive exams went well and the semester is finishing nicely.

See you in about 4 weeks! MDS

P.S. "Anonymous Dan" is not an authority on global climate! However, I am very happy he made it safely to Korea.

RCH said...

"Ah, motherland!" Remember that? haha. Anyway, I'm glad you had a good trip and are back to the swing of things. Looking forward to your pictures and stories!

RCH